Saturday, January 14, 2017

Wrap Up: Snapper/ Chocolate War/ StepBackinTime!

WRAP UP!  3 short non-spoiler book reviews.
Having to write book reports for uni, and write reviews on my blog for the same books is a bit too much for me. I decided to start doing wrap ups, and leave the reports for uni. There will be full book reviews for non-uni-books.
____________________

Title: Step Back In Time
Author: Ali McNamara
Publisher: Hachette Digital
Publication date: November 7th 2013
Edition/ Language: English
Pages: 448
Genres: Chick Lit, romance, science fiction> time travel
Read: October 16, 2016
Rating: 4 stars 

Thoughts:
This book has so many details (in a good way). It's like a fun puzzle. The title says it all. The protagonist Jo-Jo literally goes back in time and experiences so much, and has to go through so many events. She and I (as a reader) are always looking out for clues to understand what she has to learn from this whole experience, and how to get out of it. She is always surrounded by friends, which is nice! I find that this book is very well put together. While reading this book I found myself thinking and connecting puzzle pieces together, which is exactly what Jo-Jo is doing. So she definitely took me on a quest! I enjoyed it.
____________________


Title: The Snapper
Author: Roddy Doyle
Publisher: Penguin Group
Publication date: August 1st, 1992
Edition/ Language: English
Pages: 224
Genres: Fiction, comedy
Read: December 22, 2016
Rating: 3 stars
*Library book

Thoughts:
The Snapper has a pretty simple plot. Sharon gets pregnant; she keeps the name of the father a secret, while the whole town wants to know who the baby's father is. It's funny, and interesting at times because of the Irish culture. It kept me reading because of course I wanted to find out if the father's name gets revealed and how she experiences her pregnancy. It has a lot to do with family, friends, the people of the town, and the drama with the baby's father. That's pretty much it. I do have to say it was a relaxed/casual and fast read.
____________________

Title: The Chocolate War 
Author: Robert Cormier 
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf, Random House Children's Book
Publication date: September 2004
Edition/ Language: English
Pages: 267
Genres: Young-adult novel
Read: January 3, 2017
Rating: 3 stars
* Library Book

This book has a simple plot, but more driven compared to The Snapper. As a reader I could feel the action as there's a lot going on among the members of The Vigils (secret society of student pranksters) and the school.  It can be seen as a simple plot, but it can be deeper than that when I pay attention to the actions of the boys, their feelings, and how their actions affect their classmates. I find it entertaining. I enjoyed reading about the characters, their personality, and what they would and wouldn't do.


I hope you guys like mini reviews! Look out for more in the future!
Tell me in the comments the title of the best book you read recently and 1 reason why!
Jade x

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I really like the sound of The Chocolate War, it sounds similar to some of the books I read when I was at school, so I will have to pick that up if I see it. Love these short, snappy reviews Jade, definitely just enough of the story and what you enjoyed to make me want to pick up these books. Hope you're well! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete