Monday, October 17, 2016

Review- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger


Title: The Catcher in the Rye
Author: J.D. Salinger
Publisher: Penguin
Publication date: First published 1951 by Little, Brown and Company)
Edition/ Language: Paperback, English (Lijsters edition)
Pages: 192 (my edition)
Genres: coming-of-age fiction & realistic fiction
 
non-spoiler

About  
The Catcher in the Rye is about a 17 year old boy named Holden Caulfield who tells stories about his past, when he was 16, during his stay at a facility. Holden shares his experiences and stories about his roommates during his time at Pencey Preparatory Academy and also the times he went out with friends, girls and more. He thinks he knows best or what is important in life but he simply is a teenage boy who is torn between being a child and an adult.  This story is set in 1949 and it takes place in New York and at Pencey Preparatory Academy, the school he went to in Agerstown, Pennsylvania.

Themes
This book deals with themes such as identity, alienation and innocence. He finds something wrong in everything and doesn't have a proper life goal/ something he likes to do other than protecting kids. When it comes to alienation, due to finding everything phony he ends up not connecting to anyone or anything.

Personal opinion 
The best part was how the meaning of the title connected with so many happenings in the book. I didn't personally connect with The Catcher in the Rye. I think what kept me going was how different Holden thinks, however, I dislike how repetitive he is. 
The moral I got from this book is that in life people make mistakes and sometimes they cannot be saved from making those mistakes, but a lesson can be learned from them. Additionally, it’s good to be open-minded rather than shutting everything and everyone out.

This book is okay. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. We love your blog so much and support all that you do! So much so that we’ve featured you on our 100 Millennial Lifestyle Bloggers of Color list! Thank you for all you do! - fromawildflower.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is so talked about but I've never actually bought a copy. I'm curious and want to read it, but still feel unsure if I'll be able to finish it! The story sounds fascinating, though.
    I looove your blog, btw. Also your photos, they're so nice! I'd love if we can follow each other maybe? Do let me know! <3
    Have a good rest of the week x

    Joanne | Life in Blue Skies

    ReplyDelete